I just counted and thanks to the AWP Bookfair, I have 14 new books that I can’t wait to read. (Well, technically I read A. Van Jordan’s “Macnolia” when I was in the 10th grade, but it’s worth a second gander.) I will be doing mini-reviews of books I’m reading from now on so be on the look out.
Okay, here are the highlights:
- – Getting dating advice from Patricia Smith. — “Saeed, baby, we need to teach you subtlety.”
- – Hearing Kwame Dwawes read from Wisteria and Brian Turner read from Here, Bullet. (Ironically, I wasn’t able to buy these books at the fair. I will have to track them down on Amazon.)
- – Getting to meet so many people from the Cave Canem family. (Don’t forget the application deadline for the retreat is quickly approaching.)
- – Seeing friends from WKU (Dale Rigby, Stephanie Yourokus, Dan Johnson, etc.)
- – Discovering that Jaime Karnes and I are, in fact, Thelma and Louise.
- – Meeting Kim Addonizio on the dance floor, for real.
- – Actually the dance floor itself was a highlight. Mari-Elizabeth Mali and Mary Biddinger know how to throw down.
- – The panel on Changing Narratives in African-American Poetry blew my mind.
- – Feeling the love at the Lambda Literary Foundation Reading.
- – Jericho Brown’s hotel room party.